What kind of topics usually appear in the IELTS Speaking exam?
In Part 1 of the IELTS Speaking test the examiner will ask you several ‘getting to know you’ style questions on various common topics. Below you’ll find example questions listed under some of the topics which are likely to feature in the test.
When practising Part 1 questions:
- imagine you’re at a party or networking event and meeting someone for the first time.
- be friendly and avoid simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers.
- give an example, a reason or offer added detail to extend your answer.
- What do you like to do on a holiday?
- Is there a popular tourist destination in your country?
- Do you have many tourists in your country?
- Do you prefer travelling alone or with friends?
- Where in the world would you like to visit if you had the chance?
- What’s your favourite way to travel?
- Do you see your friends very often?
- What do you like about your close friends?
- Have you got a best friend?
- What do you like to do with your friends?
- Do you prefer to spend time alone or with friends?
- Do you and your friends have similar interests?
- Do you enjoy using technology?
- Do you use the Internet for your studies?
- Which item of technology do you use most often?
- Are there any Internet cafes where you live?
- Have you ever bought anything online?
- Do you have your own computer?
- Do you do any sports?
- Which kind of sports did you do at school?
- Is there a sport you haven’t tried you would like to take up?
- Are you interested in keeping fit?
- Are any members of your family keen on sports?
- Which spectator sports are popular in your country?
- Do you like to cook?
- What time do you usually eat dinner in your country?
- Are there any types of food you don’t like?
- Do you like to eat snacks?
- Tell me about a popular meal in your country?
- Do you prefer to eat in a restaurant or at home?
- Are you studying English at a school?
- Would you say you are a good student?
- When you were younger did you enjoy your time at school?
- What’s the most difficult thing about being a student?
- What was your favourite subject at school?
- Do you prefer to study alone or in a group?
- What do you do?
- Do you have any career plans yet?
- What do you see yourself doing in 10 years time?
- Do you like to work with your hands?
- Are you happy to take on a challenging job?
- Which strengths do you think you would offer a company?
- Are you careful about what you eat?
- Do you like to exercise regularly?
- How important is a healthy lifestyle for you?
- Do you eat much junk food?
- Are there any sport or fitness facilities where you live?
Books and Films
- Do you like to read books?
- How often do you go to the cinema?
- Do you prefer reading books or watching films?
- Do you read ebooks?
- Have you read any books in English?
- What kind of films do you like to watch?
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- Tell me about where you live.
- What kind of accommodation do most people live in in your city?
- What’s your favourite room to study in at home?
- Have you always lived in the same place?
- Do you prefer to live in old or new accommodation?
Clothes and Fashion
- Do you enjoy buying clothes?
- What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
- Are there many clothes shops where you live?
- Do you like to follow the latest fashions?
- When was the last time you dressed up for a special occasion?
- Have you got a favourite item of clothing?
Personality and Character
- How would you describe yourself?
- In which ways are you similar to your friends?
- Are you similar or different to your brother(s)/sister(s)?
- What qualities do you value most in your friends?
- Would you describe yourself as an optimist or a pessimist?
- Are you happier in the morning or the evening?
- Do you work or are you a student?
- What is your ideal job?
- Would you like to start your own company?
- Are most businesses doing well in your area?